A viral campaign for Jake’s Wayback Burgers kicks off July 1, with the launch of the Oreo Mud Pie Protein Cricket Milkshake nationwide. These shakes contain cricket flour that is packed with 24 grams of protein and 96 crickets! The menu addition was originally designed as an April Fool’s joke, but it had people lined out the door to try it, so it is now getting a legitimate shot on the menu.
Davis Advertising did some research before venturing out to try the strange-, yet delicious-sounding shake. Thankfully the United Nations did a recent 150-page analysis on the cricket farming industry, and we found a few interesting facts:
- The crickets used are raised in a farm in Portland, Oregon.
- Crickets grown at cricket farms are fed what is similar to industry-standard chicken feed.
- Cricket farming has been around for over 15 years.
- Feed-to-output ratio is six times more efficient than beef.
- In some markets, crickets are a luxury and priced higher than chicken, pork or beef.
- Crickets are arthropods, just like lobsters and crabs. People allergic to shellfish should avoid crickets.
With that, some of us on the Davis team decided to go to our local Wayback in Worcester, Mass., and try out this new shake, and the results were more than favorable! Tasting similar to a normal chocolate Oreo shake, the only noticeable difference was it was a little thicker than most shakes. Overall, we give it a thumbs up, but make sure to grab a spoon!
The buzz on the cricket shake is already out there, thanks to some early public relations from Wayback Burgers. New York Daily News tested the shakes and had only good things to say about this new creation: